Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Massachusetts – has transitioned to MOLST

Document Name
MOLST (Medical orders for life sustaining treatments) has taken the place of the Comfort Care/Do Not Resuscitate Verification.  However, existing DNRs will be honored.
Where do you get the form
You can find it on the site or you can get it from your physician.
Who signs the form
The form is signed by the physician, a nurse practitioner or a physician’s assistant and the patient.

Who can request the form

Any adult can complete a MOLST form.

Patient Identification
The Comfort Care/DNR verification is the only document that EMS personnel can use to verify a DNR order is valid.  If a person has a MOLST, the form itself can be used.
How do you obtain a DNR or MOLST bracelet
Your physician must order a DNR bracelet for you.  The MOLST application contains bracelet inserts that can be used in generic wrist bracelets.
Revoking a DNR or MOLST
An EMS/DNR Order or MOLST may be revoked at any time.  
Photocopies of the form or the bracelet inserts are considered authentic DNR or MOLST documents. Because EMTs are trained to look for a bright pink form in outpatient settings, it is highly recommended that a bright pink-colored DNR or MOLST form stays with the patient at all times.
State info link
Other links
DNR Bracelet links
Your physician must order a DNR braclet on your behalf.
Special Notes
Order a Vial of Life decal for your front door. The decal informs Emergency Medical Services team a DNR or MOLST has been prepared and can be found in your refrigerator.

One thought on “Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Massachusetts – has transitioned to MOLST

  1. Dean A Powers

    Hello , I do not have a regular doctor , is it possible that a regular doctor will do this for me at the local hospital ??? I will have to admit myself next week because of a tumor that goes from my lung to my liver and the pain is undescribable. I am just trying to tie up some loose ends before I admit myself , and I don’t believe I am going to get out . Plus , I do NOT want them to prolong my agony any longer than nessacery. I cannot sleep or eat , I vomit constantly ( I cannot even hold down water ) , I am in constant pain , and I cannot get any type of comphort in any position. Please let me know as soon as you can , as like I said , I am struggling to stay alive and out of the hospital as long as I can to tie up my loose ends . Thank You !!! Dean

Comments are closed.